Author Topic: Cleaner Tutorial  (Read 6141 times)

Offline linuxnofear

• Average Member
  • The Immortal Vampire.
    • DeviantArt Page
Cleaner Tutorial
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:15:40 am »
Here is a Cleaning tutorial.
This tutorial is made for Photoshop which is the picture editor we want our Editors to use. It is for the moment made for CS3 as it is the one I use for the moment. But the basics is mostly the same so there shouldn't be any problems. And I also suggest that you use a English copy to, makes it easier for others to help you, finding tools, menus etc, as we might not have ,a clue what "Noise"."Blur" or "Clone Stamp Tool" is in German.

-First of all... Damn there is so much that should be "first of all". Lets start with this. One of the best ways to learn something new, if you don't goes a course in the subject, is to try it out and see for yourself what do what. Tutorials is good the put you in the right way and give tips.
I have learned both 3D Programs and Photoshop by just trying stuff out and maybe snatch some tips and tricks from tutorials.

So I'm going to add some good tips and tricks in here, and some stuff that is required or almost required when you work as Cleaner/Editor.

-Now, Second of all... Ok, I will wait with that till you know the very basics of Photoshop(PS), jump this section if you think you know PS enough, but I suggest that you read it through anyway.

Now I will go in on learning to Clean.

We start with all over basics.

-This is very important and I will nag about it very much. Do always have the original RAW picture as background and never change that one.  Never. Redo everything if you accidently do it, so you learn not to!

-Make a new layer where you place a copy of the background in, I suggest to be named Clean. In this layer you clean up the page and makes it as it should be on release, at best as it looks when it was printed and even better if it is a bad printing.
Next layer is for text removing, I suggest calling it Bubble. This is a empty layer In which you cover text that is on the page. You can also do redrawing in this layer or make a new layer for that.
If you are going to TS to I suggest that you make a layer Group to put the Text layers in, for faster hiding.
So basically, make layers! Do not forget. You will make TS and QC happy. This especially important in your Cleaning Test.

-The size of the page is mostly 1200p (1200 pixels high) or 1400p. Ask the project leader what size you should save in. The DPI (Dots per Inch) should be 72. It is best to change the DPI first thing when you start with a new page and change size at the end. Except if it is smaller than the release size. Then it might be better to resize first so you might be able to make it look better while cleaning it.

-When saving you should NOT save in Maximum Compatibility. You can disable that function in "Preferences->File Handling".
You should also save Gray scale pages in PNG via the "Save for Web & Device". Try some settings, but basically it should be PNG8, Adaptive, Diffusion, 100%Dither. Then you can try out some amounts of color. Use as few as possible without making the page look bad. I use 17. Color pages should be saved as JPEG in the same place with about Quality 60%.

-When you start with a new project it is good to test out on some different pages, a dark on, a bright one and a gray one. Especially if you are going to make a action for that project. This is important so you not find out that the action that made the first page look wonderful made all the other look horrible.

Now over to the cleaning.

-Level is one of the most used thing in cleaning, even if it is just a little. It is a good way to remove lesser amount of dust. And is critical for fixing Magazine RAWs as they mostly looks gray and horrible. Sometime just leveling might not fix it. Be very careful when using Level as you might "burn" the page (make gray areas black), so take it very easy with it. Mostly you won't get rid all dust in black areas. One way to make the leveling effective without burning the picture is to place a Reduce Noise filter on the page. Set the Strength to 1 and all other options to 0. You can also use Surface Blur, be very careful with the settings as it can make gray boarders very blurry and indistinct.

-Even after leveling it will many times be necessary to do some manual dust cleaning. Best here is to use Brush Tool for single colored areas and Burn Tool for black white areas. Burn Tool do as it is named. It will burn gray to darker gray to black. Even thou Burn Tool can be very effective you must be careful around gray areas as it will make them burned.

-Cleaning out the text is one part where you have to be care full not to miss anything. It is very easy to miss a corner of a word when you clean out bubbles. Many people won't see that but it is annoying for QC to redo it. So be very careful and cover every word plenty to be sure. And do not miss whole bubbles.

Not all projects Translates SFX so it might not be necessary to remove them. Ask you project leader or translator. If you are not sure if it is a SFX then it is better to cover it and then the TS can remove the cover if it was unnecessary.  Use common sense and ask if it is very unclear. You should not make a big redraw in vain.

-Okay, redrawing. In so many series the Author is determined to make it hell for the Scanlators by putting text over the most annoying kind of stuff as speed lines, hair etc…

As I said before, put redraws in another layers then the cleaning one, that way it is easier to go back if you made a mistake.
Don't try and make redraws by hand with Brush Tool, you can use that to make smaller changes.

For big area textures I suggest that you use Clone Stamp Tool or copy a similar area and paste and from it to cover whatever need to be covered. Be very sure that the edges is not visible, that it is same tone on both sides.

Speed lines is best to counter with Line Tool. It is better to make many thin lines then just one heavy one. But you see when you work on.

To make gray it is better to change the tools Opacity then choose a gray color. That way you can slowly increases  and decreases the gray amount till it match.

When you are working with Magazine RAW you might need some heavy noise reducing tools. You can try and do this with PS built in Filters, but that is not recommended. Instead I suggest that you use a extra program called Topaz Denoise and Topaz Clean.  There will be more info in settings for them later in the Tips section.

Okay, that was the basic cleaning stuff.

Best of luck
linuxnofear
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:48:37 am by linuxnofear »