Author Topic: Typesetter Tutorial - Work in Progress  (Read 8329 times)

Offline Sheekthief

« on: February 10, 2010, 01:04:05 pm »
Since I'm at home today (what a shocker) I am going to go ahead and start this typesetting tutorial.  I was thinking of making it a mixture of text and video/pictures.  Not sure how its going to go because the only video recording I've done was corrupt so yeah.
This is going to be an on going work in progress so I wouldn't suggest reading/taking a look until I say/thread title changes.

Well to get started here are some good skills to know before you typeset (these are optional to know so don't worry):
Cleaning: You can fix pages the cleaner might have missed as your typesetting to improve the overall quality of the work.
Redrawing: You can get rid of text that the cleaner forgot/left there since he/she is not good at redrawing.
Grammar: The way I think about typesetters I think of people who read the chapter as they go and should check the proofreader's work for errors.  Try not to use slang when making changes but if something is completely out of whack and you have no idea what to change it too without slang mention it to the Quality checker.
georgi edit: please leave changes to the quality checker. If you notice any errors, you should definitely make them known to the QC, but please don't make any changes yourself.
Knowing all 3 of these can make the quality checker's life a lot easier so learn the basics at least.

Ok now to the actual typesetting.

There is no set rule to typesetting.  Just guidelines if you will. (Pictures of each coming later)
Some common guidelines EVERYBODY should follow are:

Don't click and put text make an actual box for it.  Not only is it easier to judge the size of the text, it is easier to edit it if something is wrong with it.

Make a diamond shape for the text not a hourglass(a lot of people are lazy when it comes to this and don't even attempt at all. But try your best) Avoid an hourglass shape at all times.

Use the same font size through out the chapter. Don't use a 14 for a bubble then a 16 for the next bubble because it is slightly larger.  If it goes from a small bubble to a very large bubble then yes changing the font size is fine to fill up more of the bubble.

Don't cut words in half unless you are at a syllable or where it has a double letter.
DO: hey hows it going, nice weather to-day
DON'T: hey hows it going, nice weather tod-ay
DO: Man my tum-my hurts
DON'T Man my tu-mmy hurts
I think you get the picture.

Use the same font through out the chapter for the same things. This rule can vary as different series print the font in a different way on purpose (IE: Mahou Sensei Negima they use a bubble letters font. Up to the typesetter if you want to continue that or not)  If you can keep it the same through out the chapter (IE: Wild Words for all the regular chat. Except when it is special like in Mahou Sensei Negima) then do it.  If you are working on a project that has multiple chapters try to keep the same fonts through out the whole thing.  So for people who are reading it from start to finish later on will have it easy on their eyes.

Use fonts that are easy to read.  Don't use a font that makes the words hard to read.  It could actually cause confusion and other bad things to happen (IE: DEATH).  If its like a note then yeah a more "handwritten" font would be suitable.  But don't use a cursive font that is really "elegant" or "flamboyant" since these can be annoying and hard to read.  I've actually skipped notes because they were hard to read.  Then later on I didn't get half the story.

Try to position the text in the middle of the bubble as best as possible. 

Make sure to have the Anti-aliasing set to smooth as sharp can be blurry at times (ironic right?), Strong can make the text too thick and hard to read, Crisp can be annoying (never actually used it...) remember use SMOOTH.

Also Do not be too scared to rotate text when necessary to make things fit better/look better in general. 
All that I can think of for now.  So MOVING ON!

Fonts
Fonts are the most important thing when comes to typesetting.  It can make or break a chapter.  It could be the best chapter ever but using a hard to read font would make the experience HORRIBLE.
Commonly used general talking fonts:
CC Astro City
Wild Words
Anime Ace 2.0

Commonly used general yelling fonts:
A.C.M.E. Secret Agent
CC Zoinks
Yikes
Yellowjacket

Commonly used general thought fonts:
CC Jim Lee

Commonly used general SFX fonts:
Inkpen Script 2
Felt

Small/Nervous Fonts:
Augie

Narration fonts:
Zud Juice
Komika Axis

Title Fonts:
Komika Axis
Blambot Lite
Yeah thats enough for now.

Well other than that there really isn't much to typesetting... I guess I could go into more detail but thats after I finish this with pictures and stuff.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:07:11 pm by georgi »
If wanting to apply to be a typesetter or cleaner click Here
If wanting to apply to be a translator click Here

Offline Sheekthief

Re: Typesetter Tutorial - Work in Progress
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:57:44 am »
BAWWW its in here...
means i actually have to work on it x-x
If wanting to apply to be a typesetter or cleaner click Here
If wanting to apply to be a translator click Here

Offline Vaane

• Look Behind You
    • Vaane's Crappy Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 04:07:14 pm »
Might wanna include "augie" for small text, "Anime Ace 2.0" as an alternative normal talking font, and "Zud Juice" as a title/announcement font, you know what I mean, in those boxes where a narrator is speaking or something is labelled :O Also "Blambot Lite" is a nice title font :S

Offline indhie07

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:39:38 pm »
-- i want to apply to be ur typesetter and im doin my test now but ive got a prob??
.. coz some group requires resizing ??? do i need to resize it??? something like 1200 pixels?  ??? ???

.. well then..... lastly well i do hope that you included those fonts that you're recommending in the pack.....  :) 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:50:21 pm by indhie07 »

Offline adytu99

• Average Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 06:01:33 pm »
You should have made a new topic. This was a tutorial :D. Look at the other aplications for examples
The test content has included in it the fonts, the information on what fonts to use and the images have already been resized to the correct release size. all you have to do is use the correct fonts and sizes. Try your best and we'll tell you what needs ro be fixed.
Good luck!!!

Offline indhie07

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 06:43:15 am »
-- uhmmm sorry for that im only new here so and i dnt know what to do and whom to ask
.. so i just post a reply here...

.. hmmm im really sorry!!!

but thanks ^.^v

-- i hope that in the mere future i'll become a member of your typesetter team hope so.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline adytu99

• Average Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:55:43 am »
Too many sorrys... I just meant it would have been easier to see your application in a new topic.  :)
I hope so too.

Offline xxsaznpride

• Lazy cleaner/proofer/Haruhist
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:54:18 pm »
Post a pack of the recommended fonts in the OP so they're easier to all snag... unless they're all default. No way I would f**king know.